When I was around 10 years old, my aunt would spend a lot of time with me and my younger sister. She would say to my sister, “You’re so beautiful.” Then, she would turn to me and say, “You’re so smart.” No, I’m not bitter. My sister and I laugh about it now, but at the time, I thought, Why can’t I be the “beautiful” one? For the record, my sister is both beautiful and smart, and I love her dearly.
Well, I’m excited to say that I received my “beautiful” compliment from Elizabeth at His Eye is On This Sparrow, who nominated my blog for the Beautiful Blogger Award. Thank you, Elizabeth! We began our blogging journey around the same time. And though we’ve never met in person, God allowed our paths to cross in the blogosphere. She writes with heart and sincerity and comes across so naturally that it feels like you are sitting down with a friend over coffee, having a wonderful conversation.
Beauty can be so subjective. There is beauty everywhere, whether external or internal, but in reality, it all comes from God. Where is true beauty but in the One who is the source of all beauty. “One thing have I asked of The Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of The Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of The Lord and to inquire in his temple” (Psalm 27:4). My desire is that any beauty found in this blog would be because of The Lord.
To accept the Beautiful Blogger Award, the rules are as follows:
1. Post the award on to your blog.
2. Remember to thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their site.
3. Post 7 random facts about yourself to help us to get to know you better.
4. Nominate 7 new bloggers you consider noteworthy.
5. Don’t forget to leave a message for those you nominate that you chose them.
I’m going to tweak things a bit. Instead of listing 7 random things about myself (because that won’t be too exciting anyway), I will list 7 things that I find beautiful because God made them beautiful.
1. The moon. Whether full or crescent, I love staring at this beauty of the night sky that God has created.
2. My children’s eyes. They all have long lashes, and that just makes their eyes even brighter.
3. My son, Gabriel’s smile. As a typical 7-year-old, he has a lot of missing front teeth, but I love how cute he looks when he smiles. I’m savoring this now before all his permanent teeth come in.
4. The passion in my husband’s voice when he is teaching others about the glories of Christ.
5. People in the midst of great affliction but possess peace that surpasses all comprehension. I’ve known many. Whether terminal illness, a broken marriage, or the death of a child, they are immovable in their faith. That is beautiful!
6. A heart that sees for the first time the beauty of Christ.
7. The cross of Christ. He paid for our sins. He conquered death. He tore the veil that previously kept us from approaching the throne of God.
And now, I nominate the following blogs for the Beautiful Blogger Award because in their posts, I believe they display true beauty, the beauty of The Lord. God has used each and every one of them to move my gaze heavenward and behold Him in all His beauty and splendor. I hope you will be encouraged by them as well.
(Photo credit: s58y)