One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” My thoughts can go in all sorts of directions, and most of them go in the course that is not in line with God’s way. What a gem this verse is to show me exactly how God wants me to love Him with all my mind! Right in the middle of this verse is the word “lovely”. It is one of the eight things mentioned in this verse that our thoughts ought to be. The original word actually has its root in the Greek word phileo, which means affection, friendship, or love (think of Philadelphia, the city of Brotherly Love). So, the word in this verse does not mean beautiful or something that is externally pleasing to the eye, as sometimes we use that word in English. In essence, what the verse is saying is this: whatever would encourage a love and friendship towards others, let your mind dwell on those things.
I have discovered that blogging can become another means to encourage love and friendship. No doubt I have been blessed by a number of bloggy friends, who have taken the time to read and follow my journey, share encouraging words, and offer their prayers. One such blogger is AR Neal from One Starving Activist, who has also further blessed me with a nomination for the One Lovely Blog Award. (There’s that word again, “lovely”). She is a deep thinker and a talented writer, and she shares that on her blog. Thank you so much for the nomination!
Since this blog is a reflection of my thoughts (thoughts that, I hope, are lovely, by the grace of God), I desire that those who come would read words that spur them on to love others. This is only possible because of Him!
If you would like to post about this award and pass it on to others, here are the rules.
1. Add the “One Lovely Blog Award” image to your post
2. Share seven things about you
3. Pass the award on to seven nominees
4. Thank the person who nominated you
5. Inform the nominees by posting on their blogs
Last and certainly least, here are 7 random things about me.
1. My husband is my best friend (after Jesus).
2. The Lord saved me 22 years ago.
3. I made my sister’s wedding cake.
4. I like extreme couponing and get a rush from deals gone smoothly.
5. My first job was working in a movie theater.
6. I wore sneakers under my wedding dress.
7. I lost my school spelling bee with the word “connoisseur”.
Have a fun Friday!